Saturday, July 12, 2008

Finally he quits

Finally my other half quit smoking. He's been smoking since he is 13 and now after 33 years of puffing the cigarette he quits. Thank god.

He suffers from bronchieatasis since he is small so smoking is actually a big no for him. He is always coughing with phlegm and to clear the phlegm I have to do postural drainage everyday but most of the time he refused.

Once, after we were married for two years he cough and vomit out blood. I was very panic and drove him to the nearest hospital and cried while I was driving but do you want to know what my half was doing. He smoked, at that time I really want to smack his head to the steering wheel. How can he smoke after coughing out blood. So when we finally reached the hospital and the doctor came and see us, to my surprise the was no panic sign from the doctor. What happened, is coughing out blood normal. To me nothing is normal about that, blood should be inside our body inside our vein it is not suppose to go out. But actually it is a normal thing with people with bronchiectasis, it will happen when the sufferer got a bacterial infection and there seems to be a tear of small blood vessels. The doctor prescribe him antibiotic and other medication, a week later he is fine.

His left lung is shrinking and now he actually have his right lung to depend on. So just imagine how relieved I am when he quit smoking. Now it's been nearly a month he did not touch any cigarette or cigar.

From my reading, human lung will reduced its efficiency as we grew older, now my half is 46 and there will be time where he will have problem in doing simple chores like walking will make him very tired struggling to breath. I hope we will be strong to face it. Insyaallah

19 comments:

  1. One thing I know about guys is they won't change their habit if it doesn't come from within themselves..even soul partner can't do much. Syukur he's finally quit..if he needs help there's so many Quit Smoking session in Klinik Kesihatan Kerajaan and at your place there's a good one. it's all free. Kudos to you for being patient..sometimes things really need time to happen..you just can't rush them. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suami aku pun merokok juga dulu...sebelum kahwin dgn aku. tapi dia janji bila berkahwin dia kata dia akan berhenti.Sebulan dua selepas berkahwin aku tgk dia masih merokok wpun tak membeli, sebabnya pengaruh kekwn, kekwn hulur nak tak nak dia amiklah. Aku berkeras aku tuntut janji dia dan alhamdulliah sekarang nih dia bebas dari merokok. Cuma tak bebas dari asap rokok jerlah...bila dia berkumpul dgn kekwn dia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are occasions when smokers (who have quit smoking) will have a craving for a smoke. in spore, they have a chewing gum specially designed to avoid them from picking up their bad habit again. but in order to purchase this gum, they will need a prescription from the doctor (spore bans chewing gum).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Laily, get him to drink Chinese Green tea. Check it out.
    It will help him now....you too, drink 3 to 5 cups a day.
    Best regards and have a great weekend, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad he quit...its not easy I've been there. Good for him, I wish him the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nani, fizah hmm aku ingat dulu masa belum kawin cik kot lah yang beria sangat suruh dia berenti merokok tapi mamng tak jalan. Tapi alhamdulillah berenti jugak cuma kekadang mengidam tu adalah kalau teringin sangat dia , sedut cerut tak idup he, he

    ReplyDelete
  7. zanas, I don't thinks he wants to chew chewing gum. but thanks for the suggestion, actually when he quits at first I didn't realize because he stop cold turkey. Now when he craved for cigarette he would smoke unlit cigar.

    Kuey san kita yang tak menghisap rokok rasanya senang gak nak kata tak nak yang dah terhooked tu sangat susah untuk diaorang cuma kita perlu support

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee thanks for the suggestion I will try and hope there will be a difference, I've heard the goodness of chinese green tea but the problem now my husband is not the type who would try anything new, I guess I'll have to force him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Barbara, I've tried to make him quit many times but fail, I guess Hliza is right we can't change other people's habit unless it is from within themselves.

    right now he is experiencing breathing difficulty is it normal for someone trying to quit?

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes butterfly it is really a relieved

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dad had bypass surgery a few years back. Post-surgery, he was coughing non-stop. It pains me to see him coughing so much.

    He even told us, "Heii.. lepas ni aku dah tak nak isap rokok dah."

    True to his words, he didn't smoke cigarettes anymore.

    It's cigars now.

    Men.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Semoga suami laily kekal tak merokok dan terus bertambah baik tahap kesihatannya.Insya Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dad smoked from the age of 10 into his 60's. He would cough so bad at night it would make him pass out and finally my mom saif enough (which is funny bcause she kept on smoking for a couple of yeas after that). Anyway my point is that his cough went away and now you would never know he smoked. I hope your husband recovers as well as my dad and the shortness of breath should go away too. Quitting smoking is hard at first, but after a while I found it more disgusting than people who never smkoked. My mom has quit as well and it has been years. For myself, I quit 23 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aizan,
    My husband also turn to cigar now, unlit cigar it is

    ReplyDelete
  15. Izzo, Kak zai,
    Insyallah dan ahamdullilah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks lacey,
    I really hope so, the short of breath is reducing now but still there, he can walk but having a hard time climbing the stairs

    ReplyDelete