Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Back to the floor

My study leave is going to be over soon. I will be either going back to school or to teachers' college, either or I'll go back to teaching. I remember when I was doing my first degree I told a friend of mine that I will not become a teacher, but now look at me I've been teaching for 7 years now. Teaching was not my passion, however on 1999 when my first baby is born I have to find a job that did not take a lot of my time. Then I thought hey why not go into teaching more holidays, short working hour. After that I got my Diploma in education an become a teacher. I don't fall in love with it immediately I was posted to my school an all girl school. My first year was disastrous my student ask question that i cannot answer, some student cut out of my class, I don't know how to control my students. My degree is Biology but I have to teach Physics so it was not my area of expertise. I lost my temper in class, I shouted to a student very loud I noticed some teachers came out of their classroom to look.

But I stick to it, on my second year I was the advisory for my schools' handball team and the Police cadets. Frankly speaking I was never into sport, so my girls practise on their own and we lost at the first round. My police cadets team is also not doing so well. I improve on my content knowledge. I was more prepared to class. I even thought of outside class activities for my students. I don't want my students to think that physics is something they can only learn in the lab. Fast forward a few years I began to enjoy teaching. I noticed that when the girls enjoyed their class I feel a satisfaction beyond explanation. I want my girls not only learn physics but also enjoy my class doing physics. When their SPM results came out I cannot sleep thinking how is my students doing in their SPM. I was no longer the handball team advisory but still a police cadets teacher. I enjoy being the police cadets teacher, I even became a commander for the district level and state level events. I teaches my girls and they also teaches me. Now I've fallen in love with teaching and with my girls. Sometimes I miss going to school and I even went to school just to check on the teacher who is replacing me. Even though I improve my content knowledge, I still thought to my self, what if my student want to know more and what if I am lost of ideas in teaching. That is the main reason why I took my masters degree in Physics education. First when I apply for my masters I was rejected because my degree is not related to physics but with my determination I was accepted but with one condition I have to join undergrad student for physics classes and I accept.

2 comments:

  1. betula rita, aku pun sama dgn ko, aku pun mula2 tak minat mengajar tapi setelah aku dah hampir 11 thm mengajar nih aku sangat2 sayangkan kerjaya aku nih. dan aku sayangkan anak murid aku rita... pada hal aku boleh pilih cita2 aku masa tu seorg akuantant!.Dan sebenarnya aku telah pun mendapat pekerjaan itu di Sunway Logon. Tapi aku memilih untuk menyambung diploma pend. untuk menjadi guru disebabkan aku telah mengandung 6 bulan ketika itu...aku memikirkan masa untuk anak aku, suami lebih tepat keluarga...dan sekarang aku terlalu sayangkan tugas aku sebagai seorang pendidik...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ye lah fiza, kita ni macam cinta dalam paksa. kita suka mengajar tapi keadaan kat sekolah tu kekadang buat kita jelak

    ReplyDelete